Sunday, September 7, 2008

First Group Run: 12 miles at Penasquitos Canyon

I'm so excited to be running with a group and was so nervous about sleeping in that I slept horribly last night. I also ended up setting my alarm extra early, so when I woke up and was wide awake I had no reason to hit snooze.
My dreams were about getting ready for this morning. I was lacing up brand new blue trail shoes when the alarm rang.
Time: 8:30am
Distance: Intended 12.0 at 9:30, ran 11.6 at
Route: Southernmost Route Eastward to Equestrian Center Parking lot and back
Completed In: 1:16:04
Shoes: Asics GT 2120 - narrow width
Fuel: Clif Shot - vanilla at 6 miles
Mood: Look! Other runners! yay!
Weather:Overcast at first, clearing up by mile 6; clear and hot (82-84 degrees) at finish.
Of note: Green things on trees! I think they are called leaves. They are pretty! And blue-green instead of the yellow-green color everywhere else.



I pulled up 5 minutes early, sipping conservatively from my full and frozen water bladder and stepped out of the car. Someone next to me looked familiar from a photo on the Meetup list; I followed him to a group of people I didn't even see on the other end of the lot.
The first person I met was Jean. Jean's lived in SD since college in the 80's. She doesn't have a specific run she is trianing for; hasn't trained since Boston in '06 and this 12 was going to be her longest run in quite a while. Mike, the organizer, was here at 7am for his first 12 mile out and back. He's training for a 50 mile ultra and was having an old buddy of his meet him for the second half of his workout (the second 12 miles). John and his wife moved here in July also (from Connecticut); he will be running his first Boston marathon in April also. There were 9 to 10 of us; a GREAT turnout!

We took off shortly after 8:30 and ran at a comfortable pace, chatting and getting to know one another. It was interesting to talk and observe human behavior (a pasttime of mine); those defensive about their rituals, those who need to one-up others, those who judge themselves and those who are a little cocky. I also noted my own behavior - wanting to find connection, wanting to fit in, wanting to find commonality.

As our natural paces took over, we split up into smaller groups of 2-3 per pack. The sky was still overcast and it remained cool - mid 70's, perhaps. I ran with John for awhile, then fell back and ran with Jean for a spell and the fellow that Mike brought, who was buddies with him since high school. He hadn't run since he was in middle school, then Mike was hit with this running thing and he thought, well, why the hell not?
It was his first 12 miles.

By time we hit the halfway point the clouds were burning off. As a ray of sunshine shone through the heat on my skin indicated today was going to be another scorcher. Some chose to head back right away; abut 6 of us stayed behind to wait for those who were taking a restroom break.

As we headed back, I stopped to take some pictures of the canyon and told Jean I would catch up with her. That was probably not the best idea; she ended up being quite a bit ahead and I had to throw in some speedwork to catch her heels. I was almost there, and consequently almost to the trailhead, when I stopped to catch my breath with UltraMike who was walking up the last hill.

When we came through, Jean and a few others were waiting. Congratulations went all around, high five's and handshakes. Mike brought out a cooler and offered everyone some of his ultra snacks. He said he has had to learn to train on junk food since that is what is usually provided at ultra events. He kicked back a quart of chocolate milk while Jon squirmed at the thought of chugging a sweet, viscous beverage at the end of 24 miles.

Hungry myself, and not willing to fuel on just Snickers and convenience store trail mix, I headed to my car to down a Lara bar while en route to Road Runner Sports. San Diego has a Clearance Center -- more goodies for less! I was hoping to find new shoes at a discounted price.

No dice there, but I did pick up a reflective vest for $12.
200-someodd yards away was the main store, so I popped in to pick up a new pair in the GT series.

This store is considerably larger than the Green Lake one in Seattle. Aside from running and walking shoes, they offer "comfort" shoes such as Cole Haan, Merrils, and Patagonia.

Mmm, Cole Haan.

On a busy Saturday there was a 15 minute wait for gait analysis. I only stood at the shoe wall for 2 minutes or so before I was helped. I grabbed my shoes, browsed the sale rack for gems (there were none) and headed to check-out so I could stop by REI (about 50 yards away) to pick up a platypus nozzle.

This is one of my favorite spots in SD so far. REI and Road Runner Sports just around the corner from one another!

Instead of my nozzle (which I couldn't find, and was too smelly and hungry to ask) I found deeply a discounted running tank, shirt, and a few pairs of new socks. The heat has taken a toll on my running gear; there is no way it can survive more than one run before washing and I do not have enough summer clothes to keep up a week's worth of running.

Thus I am justified in my consumerist activities. ;)


1 comment:

rpd said...

Yer gonna see all kinds of neat lizards, rattlesnakes, and maybe even tarantulas down there. Don't think your reflective vest is going to help you there. :-P

Seriously, it looks like you are building your community now. Where to next? How are you doing with the heat?